Print Chocolate whoopie pies
Two saucer-shaped rounds of chocolate cake sandwiched around a marshmallow-y cream filling: that’s the classic whoopie pie. Originally popular in New England and around Amish country, the whoopie pie has gradually been spreading throughout America, and for good reason: it’s a delicious throwback to the days before everyone started counting calories or fat grams. Consider these an occasional decadent treat.
- 275 g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1½ tesapoons bicarbonate of soda
- 75 g dark chocolate
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 1 large free-range egg
- 125 g light muscovado sugar
- 75 g caster sugar
- 125 g soured cream
- 75 g white chocolate chips
- 100 g white chocolate
- 150 g icing sugar
- 100 g unsalted butter , at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 150 ml single cream
- 1 tablespoon light muscovado sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas 3. Line two large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of sea salt.
- Chop and melt the chocolate with the butter in a heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg, then whisk in the sugars and soured cream. Stir in the melted chocolate and butter to combine.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients and 5 tablespoons of boiling water, and mix until smooth. Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Spoon 12 even dollops onto each baking sheet, leaving plenty of space between them. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Leave to cool on the trays for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream frosting, melt the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth, then leave to cool.
- Sift the icing sugar into a large bowl, add the butter and vanilla, then beat until smooth and light. Add the cooled chocolate and stir to combine.
- Fill a large piping bag with frosting and pipe onto the flat side of 12 of the whoopies. Sandwich with the remaining cakes.
- Melt all the glaze ingredients in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring until smooth. Leave to cool slightly. Spoon over the pies, decorate with sprinkles, if you like, and leave to set before serving.